Ahmedabad, India: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced a special tribute for the captains of previous World Cup winning teams. As part of the ongoing ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, the ICC will present each captain with a specially designed blazer commemorating their achievement.
This initiative aims to recognize and honor the outstanding contributions of these legendary cricketers who have led their respective teams to the pinnacle of cricket glory. The blazers will be presented during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 finals, scheduled to be held on Sunday, in Ahmedabad, India.
The list of captains who will receive the special blazers includes:
- Clive Lloyd (West Indies, 1975 and 1979 World Cups)
- Kapil Dev (India, 1983 World Cup)
- Allan Border (Australia, 1987 World Cup)
- Imran Khan (Pakistan, 1992 World Cup)
- Arjuna Ranatunga (Sri Lanka, 1996 World Cup)
- Steve Waugh (Australia, 1999 World Cup)
- Ricky Ponting (Australia, 2003 and 2007 World Cup)
- MS Dhoni (India, 2011 World Cup)
- Michael Clarke (Australia, 2015 World Cup)
- Eoin Morgan (England, 2019 World Cup)
These captains have not only led their teams to victory but have also left an indelible mark on the sport of cricket. Their leadership, cricketing acumen, and ability to inspire their teams have made them true icons of the game.
The ICC’s gesture of presenting these special blazers is a fitting tribute to these cricketing legends. It is a recognition of their extraordinary achievements and a reminder of their immense contribution to the game of cricket.